Wednesday, March 4, 2020

V

As of last night, all my books are sorted by author, then by title. Thanks, I guess, to my oddly-helpful stalker. (Someone else in my apartment building, maybe? Me sleepwalking? Nah, probably not that second one.)

I bring this up because, while I was looking through my collection, I noticed a particular book. It's easily the size of a brick and about as heavy, and bound in leather. It looks old and expensive. On the inside is a bookplate reading "Library of Matthias Clark." From what very little digging I've done, Matthias Clark was a private collector of rare books from here in Atkins. He died of a heart attack in 2012.

Poor guy. Not sure what he has to do with this whole thing, though, other than that the book apparently belonged to him at some point.

Point is, I know for sure that Ex Umbrae wasn't there before last night, although the pictures I took show it clear as day right where it is now, just like all the other changes have shown up in my pictures. It's called Ex Umbrae, and it doesn't have an author listed that I can tell. For some reason, rather than being placed between Bulfinch and Frost, it's between Poe and Smirke. I guess the author's name is somewhere from P to S, whoever it is.

I feel too exhausted to look into it more, but it looks like Ex Umbrae is written entirely in Latin. Unfortunately, none of the schools I've gone to offered any Latin classes. As it stands, no clue what it says. I think "ex umbrae" would mean something like "out of shadows," though.

Is my stalker reading this, or is this just some weird coincidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment